Saturday, July 22, 2006

Just my luck!

Tomorrow is my cousin Marissa's high school graduation party. I was excited when I got the invitation in the mail and saw that it was going to be at Jenkinson's in Point Pleasant. I simultaneously felt incredibly old and had the urge to run to Saks and buy Creme de la Mer eye balm.

It was 8 years ago that I graduated high school. Man, that makes me feel old. It somehow seems like yesterday and a lifetime ago all at once. As I constantly remind Mr. Cupcake... At least I will always be younger than him. Even if it is only by 9 months.

I was excited to go down to Point Pleasant for a couple of reasons. First, I spent most of my summer vacations there with my family. We'd stay for the week at the Surfside Motel, which back in the 80's was bright pink. I was sad when they painted it beige years ago. It was like it lost some of it's charm. And I use that term loosely. I feel like there is something so familiar about Point and so much of it hasn't changed in years. For example, always park and find a spot near the jetty - there are less crazy tourist/boardwalk people there and I happen to like my waves a little choppier. And the little cafe/breakfast place on Broadway going into town opens around 6 and has the best coffee and eggs.

Another reason I was looking forward to the party was that we would get some quality beach time. Now, I know I don't tan all that well in the summers anymore. At a party last weekend, one of my in-laws said I looked like Snow White, I was so pale. "Not any more!", I thought. Although now, looking out the window, it looks like the weather is going to get the best of me again. Because being steamy hot all week wasn't enough, Mother Nature feels the need to rain on the one day I can actually go to the beach and get some color (slathered up with SPF 45, of course). She's such a woman. At least by staying out of the sun tomorrow, I'll help keep those wrinkles away for a little while longer!

No comments: