Friday, August 10, 2007

Hello and Welcome to Moviefone

We finally went to see The Simpsons Movie the other night. It wasn't exactly the Worst. Movie. Ever., though it didn't touch our Top 5 for this summer. In a word: Eh....

The Mr. and I were never really hardcore movie goers, but since moving to a place where we don't know many people, trying to have a "social life" takes on a whole new meaning. Apparently that means we go to the movies a lot (generally a matinée, because I'm frugal like that) and have been lucky to go to a lot of pre-screenings. We are indie movie and documentary fans, and love that there are so many smaller indie-friendly theaters here in Dallas. With that said, here are some of my favorites, in Must See order:

1. Death at a Funeral
I don't think I've laughed so hard or so loud at a movie in ages. It helps if you enjoy a somewhat drier, British sense of humor but there are so many outrageously hysterical scenes to enjoy. Peter Dinklage totally steals the movie. I honestly and truly woke up the morning after the screening and my abs ached to high heaven from laughing so hard. Plus, you HAVE to love a movie that has a tag line like: "From director Frank Oz comes the story of a family that puts the F U in funeral."

2. Introducing the Dwights
How could you not fall in love with an aging cabaret singer & comedianne like Jeanie Dwight? I think this only fell into my solid number 2 slot since the actress that played Jill (Emma Booth) annoyed me in a way that was partly because of the way her character was written and partly because she just looked tarty. The underlying theme of letting go of your children was really well done without being overly Movie of the Week-ish. Younger brother Mark (Richard Wilson) was absolutely priceless and had some of the best one-liners in the film.

3. Ocean's Thirteen
George Clooney. Brad Pitt. Matt Damon. Andy Don't-Stare-Directly-At-Me-Or-Your-Eyes-May-Melt-From-My-Hotness Garcia. Sure, it's getting over-done, but it seems like they all had a blast making the movie and it comes across on screen. And did I mention: George Clooney. Brad...... Plus, I am in mad lust with Ellen Barkin's hair.

No comments: