Monday, October 30, 2006

IKEA & Me

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have a certain fondness for IKEA. Actually it is a little more like an obsession. Even before I had my own place, I would wander around the model room layouts and be amazed that everything in that entire living room could be mine for less than $1,000. Of course, there are strict rules to be followed when dealing with the beast that is the Sweedish superstore.

#1 - There will be absolutely NO shopping at IKEA on the weekends or any holiday when people have off from work. Even if you get there as the doors open, you still have to fight your way past the 107 other people who woke up early to "beat the crowds" to your Swedish meetballs. Or pressboard dresser. Or wacky do-dad-decoration-thingie.

a - The exception to the holiday rule is Valentine's Day. February 14th is the BEST time to go to IKEA. Ask me how I know this and I will give you insight into Mr. Cupcake's romantic tendencies.

# 2 - You must allow time to enjoy breakfast (yummy eggs, bacon, potatoes for 99 cents!) or lunch/dinner/snack with some of the freshest tasting gravlox this side of Goteborg and some lingonberry cheesecake.

Today I spent the afternoon getting to know my new local IKEA in Frisco and what a fruitful trip it was! Besdies finally finding an inexpensive dresser that would (a) match our bedroom and (b) cost as little as possible until we can save up the money for the one I really want, I got some random stuff for the house, some new organizing drawer units for my studio... I found these:
I came across these STATIST wired tree-like things in the miscellaneous decoration area and knew instantly that I would be taking a small arboretum's worth home with me. While I stood there, coming up with 101 uses for my new forrest of STATISTS and loading them into my cart, I knew what I would ultimately do with them.

As my local customers know, I am constantly changing up my street fair display with different, random things I find that make good (but slightly random) display items. Like the metal minimalist dish racks I turned on their sides to use as keychain racks. That one always gets funny looks, but it works like a charm! These will make great necklace displays (since I never seem to have enough) and I can't wait to use them at the end of the month.

Now I'm off to find my trusty allen wrench and spend the next 17 hours putting everything I bought together!

No comments: